Saturday, March 5, 2011

It’s always difficult to start writing anything - or at least I have found it be so. The best place to start is the beginning, but that would mean going WAY back, so instead I offer a quick synopsis of who I am:
A teen-ager in the infamous sixties, I was called all kinds of things: flower child, hippie, radical, a bum (not everyone appreciated hippies!), just to name a few. But ah, youth must of course move on, so eventually I settled down. I was a bit later than most, but I had all those wild oats to sow! I lived in NYC for 10 years, then moved back to my hometown. So at age 28 I married, and at age 31 had my first child, and at nearly 40, my second child.  Conformist was never a comfortable tag for me.  I blame that on my parents - who brought six daughters into the world and then raised us to be independent people, helpful to our community, and honest to a fault. Obviously, I use the word “blame” jokingly, I really mean it as a compliment to them. They never told us “you can’t do that because you’re a girl” - imagine how that would go over in a family of 6 girls?  So, here I am, again a child of the sixties (but I’m talking age now!) and still a little bit of a rebel but not so much that I’m outside societal boundaries.
My interests? Hmm, eclectic would be a good word, but it’s so overused these days. I’m a conservationist (dubbed “raging environmentalist” by my son many many years ago; he meant it fondly, I think); a community volunteer (once upon a time, I was a community activist - really! I got paid and everything to be one - but that’s a story for another day); I’m a damn good mother - I had a great role model in that department; I’m an amateur artist, in many mediums - watercolor, writing, yarn art, fabric; I’m a huge foodie!; I love the outdoors, swimming and hiking and just riding through the countryside.  I’d like to see my hometown come alive again, and I think that’s becoming more and more of a reality. I see lots of young people in the area who are now promoting their town, not besmirching it as past generations have done. And that’s where the life of an area comes from, its young people. So maybe I can contribute a bit with the writings in this blog, while just rambling on about my thoughts and opinions on things in general. If people like what I write, they’ll read it; if they don’t, they won’t. I’m not sure what direction this will take but, as with many things in life, I think I’ll let it take its own path. So, here we go. And I’ll call it:  Thoughts of the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment